virtual Unified champion school fitness challenge
This six-week training program is a Unified Champion School program for students with and without intellectual disabilities to virtually train together. It can be fully done from home with materials provided and online resources available for those who can access them.
New Dates: January 18 – February 28
SPECIAL OLYMPICS KANSAS UNIFIED CHAMPION SCHOOLS WOULD LIKE TO INVITE ALL STUDENTS IN OUR VIRTUAL UNIFIED FITNESS CHALLENGE AS A WAY TO STAY CONNECTED AND INSPIRE HEALTH AND FITNESS GOALS.
Unified Pairs will track their mileage (steps), submit the Mileage Tracker form and compete against other students from around the state. The overall goal distance for the pair to complete during the 6-week challenge is 300 miles (150 miles per individual) which is only a little over 3.5 miles per day per person.
Did you know… on average, a person walks 2 miles doing regular work, school and home activities each day?? Put these miles to use in the challenge.
All Unified Pairs who complete the Step Challenge will receive a reward and be entered for a Grand Prize drawing. Prizes will be rewarded to the top 3 in each of the following categories:
Top Individuals (Athlete and Partner categories)
Top School Overall Steps
Top School Average Steps
Leaderboard Updated Weekly!
How to participate
Submit the school registration form that can be found below. While we encourage you to get registered by January 18th, you can start late if you want and still win prizes and get your mileage tracked.
- Complete the COVID-19 Participant Code of Conduct and Risk Assessment Form
- If participants aren’t already registered athletes or partners, complete the Virtual Fitness Waiver – Contact us if you have any questions on this.
PARTICIPATE AND REPORT
- Engage in walking, jogging, running and other activities on a daily basis to rack up miles.
- Complete the weekly challenges
- Use a mileage tracker to track your daily miles (mileage can be measured using a personal fitness tracker, smart phone, map and measure your walk online using MapMyWalk or a similar resource, have someone drive the path in their car to measure distance.
- Submit weekly mileage trackers to Special Olympics Kansas (Either as a pair or whole school)
- Share updates, tips, ideas, information on who is exceeding expectations in their team, etc.
- Don’t forget to track all of your mileage (steps) including practices and work. Track all day!
STEP 1: REGISTRATION
Complete the registration form that is available at the link below to sign-up your students.
STEP 2: ADDITIONAL FORMS
COVID-19 Participant Code of Conduct
and Risk Assessment Form
We are requiring all athletes, coaches and volunteers to complete the Participates Code of Conduct and Risk Assessment Form. Please complete the form prior to participating and return the completed forms to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to your school Unified Sports coach.
VIRTUAL ATHLETE RELEASE FORM
We are requiring all athletes and Unified partners who aren’t currently registered with SOKS to complete this virtual release form instead of the athlete medical or volunteer form at this time. If you are not sure about the registration status of an individual please contact us and we will let you know.
STEP 3: REPORTING
Use the excel spreadsheet available to download from the button below to submit tracking logs for all of your athletes and partners.
Can we get together with our partner or other students to get our steps in and workout?
- Follow your school and community guidelines and check the Special Olympics Kansas Guidelines here.
- Make sure everyone involved is comfortable with in-person training. Allow for any participant to opt out at any time.
- All in-person gatherings are held outdoors only (inclement weather results in cancellation).
Do I need to be a registered Special Olympics Kansas athlete or Unified Partner/Volunteer to participate?
Not at this time. However, we do have a waiver for you to fill-out prior to participating.
What if my school is interested in joining the Special Olympics Kansas Unified Champion School program?
YAY! Let’s talk. There is no cost to join and no expectations at this time on level of participation in light of the pandemic. In fact, we may have grant funding available to help your school with inclusive programming. Contact Taylor at Obersteadtt@ksso.org.