What’s the season timeline?
- Practice begins on Friday, May 8, 2020. Make sure to submit your results by Friday, May 29. The Virtual Summer Games results will be available at ksso.org/virtual-summer-games on June 5-7.
Will there be opening ceremony or Healthy Athletes?
- Yes, we will have opening ceremonies on Friday, June 5 at 2 p.m. on Facebook. We will also post the video on the virtual games page on ksso.org. We will also have Healthy Athletes videos available on the web and on Facebook too.
Will there be a General Store?
- Yes! We have an online General Store where you can purchase your favorite SOKS swag and have it shipped directly to you! Click HERE to view the store.
My favorite thing about Summer Games is the Dance. Will there be one?
- Yes! We are going to have a virtual dance. You can register to be part of it by clicking HERE. We will have three dance sessions on June 6. Please register for only one session so we can make sure all athletes have a chance to get on and get down! When you register you will provide an email address. We will email you the Zoom code and password for the dance.
Who can compete?
- Anyone who is currently registered as SOKS athlete. Unified partners can also compete with an athlete in the Unified division. Remember, athletes and partners are required to have a current medical release on file before training and competing.
I have athletes who don’t have access to internet or a computer. Can they still compete?
- Yes! If you’re willing and able to do so safely, please help get the information to your athletes so they can participate and record their results for them using the online form. Doing this for your athletes would be going above and beyond. We appreciate you!
What if we normally don’t participate in Summer Sports, can we still participate?
- YES! This is open to anyone that is interested and is currently registered as SOKS athlete. Remember, athletes and partners are required to have a current medical release on file before training and competing.
Who am I competing against?
- You’re competing against everyone in the your color category. We’ll division everyone based on age and ability like we always do. We’ll present results online June 5-7 at ksso.org.
How do I practice?
- Our top priority is that everyone is safe and maintains social distancing rules while practicing. Practice at home or in a space that still allows you to follow social distancing rules (you must be six feet away from other individuals).
Do I need equipment to practice?
- Many events don’t require any equipment. Some events require a ball. Please don’t go out to the store and purchase equipment. Use what you have and don’t be afraid to get creative! In the training videos for each category we show you ways to use household objects for training and competition needs.
Does my coach need to know I’m competing?
- No, but it would be great if you let them know—they might like to cheer you on virtually!
Do I need to fill out any paperwork to participate?
- No paperwork is required to participate. You will just need to enter your results online when you are done competing.
What scores do I need to record during the practice session?
- You do not need to enter your practice scores, but it is a good idea to keep track if you can so you can see if you are improving. It is also good to practice keeping you scores so you know how to do it when it comes time to enter them!
Will I be disqualified if I don’t run the exact distance in a track event? Will I be disqualified if I use a ball of socks instead of a softball for the ball toss?
- No, we understand that everyone is doing their best and everyone’s at home event set up is different than others. We are more interested in everyone participating and giving their honest effort and attempt. The priority is participation and not disqualification.
How do I submit my results?
What about tennis, cycling and swimming?
- Since this is an unusual year and everyone’s home is different we tried to stick with events that most athletes could do with very little equipment in the safest way possible. We are hopeful that we will have tennis, cycling and swimming in person in 2021.
Will I get an award?
- Yes! You’ll get a digital award in an email the week after Virtual Summer Games. If you do not have email we will send your coach your certificate. We are also looking at doing physical awards at a later date.
I need help or I have other questions.