Special Olympics Kansas Fitness Training for Sports Coaches
Physical fitness is a key part of the Special Olympics mission. Fitness is the state of optimal health and performance through adequate physical activity, nutrition, and hydration. In order for our athletes to be fit, they must practice healthy habits year-round and lifelong. Fitness programming empowers athletes and their supporters to take charge of their own health and fitness by providing necessary education, social support, opportunities and tracking of progress.
Special Olympics Kansas invites our sports coaches to take part in an online fitness training course that will provide you with the tools and resources to help improve your athletes lives through incorporating fitness components in your training. This course will be delivered by Jamie Schnee, Special Olympics North America certified fitness train-the-trainer.
Benefits of Fitness for Athletes
- Enhanced sport performance through improved
Speed and agility.
Strength and power.
- Increased energy level, improved focus, and better recovery after practices & games.
- Reduced risk for sport-related injuries.
- Decreased risk for illnesses and chronic diseases.
- Improved quality of life.
Key Training Takeaways
- Fitness should be a seamless part of what you already do.
- Learn how fitness can be adapted to fit all levels of athletes and abilities.
- Small, simple efforts can have a big impact.
- Present and reinforce fitness messages.
- Be a role model.
Date: Tuesdays in July (5th, 12th, 19th and 26th) from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Location: Online via Zoom (link will be provided following registration)
Who: Limited to the first 25 Special Olympics Kansas Coaches
- Active Special Olympics Kansas Certified Coach
- Interested in health and committed to putting the training into action in your SO Program
- Available to attend the online trainings
- Willing to participate in pre-training conference calls
- Has been approved by SOKS Local Program for participation.