Convoy for Special Olympics Kansas
COVID-19 has prevented Special Olympics Kansas (SOKS) from hosting our annual Convoys in person for 2020. The Convoy is one of the most anticipated events not only for the drivers, but also SOKS athletes who line the roads and overpasses to cheer on the parades. Further, it has been over 6 months since SOKS athletes have been able to practice sports, meet with friends, or participate in Healthy Athletes events. Effectively, COVID has taken them from the playing fields to the sidelines…
HOWEVER, it’s time for the Convoy and its participants to rally again around our athletes and move them back to the playing fields. As Special Olympics Kansas continues to return to activity and build online training, your participation in the Convoy can help ensure our programs are ready for all 4800 athletes. The Convoy has always delivered smiles, and promises to do so again for 2020!
THIS YEAR, we are asking you to enroll your company vehicles, personal cars, or motorcycles and help us log over 3,000 miles for the Special Olympics Kansas Convoy!
Rather than gather as one large group in either Dodge City / Cimarron or Goodland / Colby / Oakley, Special Olympics Kansas will mail a removable vehicle decal to each participant prior to 9/12/2020, along with a mileage log. (As always, shirts and hats will also be available!) At the end of the day, each participant will be asked to email a photo of them by their decal on their vehicle and submit their total mileage for the day. SOKS staff will then compile the grand total on mileage, fundraising, and participant totals. Together, we will achieve!
“Thank you for your support of Special Olympics athletes and for keeping our communities moving!”
Rules for the Convoy
1. Have fun! Even though we can’t be together, it doesn’t mean we can’t have fun!
2. Vehicles must be road safe and in good working order.
3. All participating vehicles and drivers must register with Special Olympics Kansas. Registration can be done by clicking the “Register Now” button at the top of the page, or downloading and mailing the form linked to the “Register by Mail” button.
4. Any vehicle or mode of transportation is welcome to participate! Motorcycles, cars, light duty trucks, semis, tractor trailers, vans, or scooters may join with their paid entry.
One week prior to the Convoy
1. All participants will receive via USPS mail a welcome packet. The packet will contain one (1) mileage log and one (1) official Special Olympics Kansas Convoy vehicle decal.
2. Those participants who have paid for shirts and hats will be notified of local merchandise pickup locations throughout Kansas and the hours of those events.
Day of Convoy
1. Be sure to clean the area on your vehicle before applying the official Convoy decal. SOKS is not responsible for any damage done to a vehicle’s shine or polish.
2. Please take photos of your journey in the Convoy! Stop along Kansas’ scenic byways or historical markers. Get creative!
3. Share your photos or videos to our social media channels. (Facebook: Special Olympics Kansas, Twitter and Instagram: @sokansas
4. At the end of the day, complete the official mileage log and return it to Special Olympics Kansas. Logs can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to SOKS at the address above.
5. Remove decal.
After the Convoy
1. Visit SOKS’ social media accounts for final tallies and view participant photos.
2. Thank local sponsors!
3. Visit ksso.org for upcoming events and details regarding the online auction that is typically held in person at the Convoys.
4. Celebrate knowing you helped bring Special Olympics Kansas back to activity for our athletes!